Friday 23 August 2013

Learning about myself

So this week I have been away in Perth doing a leadership course. I had no idea what to expect from this course and it has been interesting.

This first week has been about us. Who are we, what do we know about ourselves, what sort of a leader are we now and how can we grow and be better leaders, what is a good leader???

For me it was quite a journey of understanding and discovery. Interestingly the mindset lessons which are a big part of the 12wbt program have held me in good stead and helped me with my growth.

Lots of the work this week has been about mindfulness and doing things with purpose.


Or more the point - self control.

This is something we all need to work at, including me.

Other important things I have learnt this week that I need to work at  are:

1. I need to set goals (sounds familiar) I discovered I don't value my achievements as I don't formally set goals or worse I move the goal post when I get close thinking  - that was too easy! As a result I don't reward myself as much.

2. I need to work on building better relationships - deep relationships. I am friendly and I think generally well liked but I lack the kicker of building a strong relationship with people. I am not sure how I am going to do this but I need to work at this better. I guess in part I feel like I end up doing all the work in a friendship (most of the time but not always) and this frustrates me. I need  to be less self focused ! (says she writing a blog that is all about me!) - On a side note last round when the challenge was to hold a 12wbt dinner party I thought - but who would I invite - sad but true.

3. I need to listen more and ask more questions - stop solving the worlds problems and always offering an opinion. Give others the time to find a solution.

Interesting that a leadership course involved a whole afternoon of meditation! but it isn't hard to understand that meditation can help you focus and see the bigger picture (or perhaps the smaller one at times). So I am going to try and focus better on my daily activities.

My commitment for this week (and on going)

* Eat at the kitchen table and taste my food.

* Concentrate on my training and concentrate during my training. Feel the feet on the ground or the contraction of the muscles on the bike... don't drift off and forget the focus of the training effort.

* Be mindful when brushing my teeth, concentrate on the task at hand.

* stop working and enjoy the coffee in the morning. Sit and taste the drink. Then focus on the activity I am doing - avoid going on tangents!

I think this will be enough of a challenge for the week!

Interestingly the importance of goal setting and self control are key to success in the #12wbt program and I am really glad I starting this journey for a better life by applying these mindset lessons to my weight and personal life. Now it's time to apply them other parts of my life - a little at a time.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like we're quite similar :-) I'm always changing my goals cos I met them too quickly etc, or I aim way too high (over achiever!!). I should get along to a course like this, or perhaps just pay attention to the mindset videos more!

    ReplyDelete