Tuesday 4 February 2014

How to beat the snack attack!

So time to talk about snacks.

Meals are easy to manage but the "hungry Hippo" who comes home from work each day is not so easy to manage.

Here are some things that have worked well and no to well for me

First the not so good:

  • Drinking water once I am hungry doesn't work for me!
  • Having any cheese in the fridge is dangerous - especially a cheese
  • Ice cream is best left at the supermarket - it is too easy to eat on a couch with a spoon 
  • High fat and tasty yoghurt is a close second for things to avoid.
  • Peanut butter is also dangerous but I can ignore it is I lock it up. Although it makes great satay curry rice cakes.
  • Not planning snacks when I travel is VERY dangerous.
  • I can eat too much fruit really easily
  • I can eat WAY WAY too much dried fruit - my mother makes home made fruit leather and I can eat the equivalent of 10 apricots in a sitting!

And the Good


- Protein fills you up very well - So low fat yoghurt is a great snack
- Snack balls are great - Dried fruit in this form is portion controlled.
- Home made hummus and ryvita cracker make a good snack.
- Planning your snacks is critical - This is what Sundays should be for
- Drink water BEFORE you get hungry
- When you are learning to drink Green Tea - make it weak.

Also exercising when I get home from work BEFORE I sit on the couch means I don't have time to eat and drink things I shouldn't

Here are the  Fig and Cranberry balls I made on the weekend. I also made a batch of snack balls with nuts and coconut.

I am travelling to Perth on the weekend so the plan it to take some of these morsels with me to eat - no buying chips or lollies to travel with.

And of course take a bottle of water to drink - helps manage the boredom of a long trip.






1 comment:

  1. I think getting the snack component right is harder than doing the meals... maybe because it is up to us to organise. I agree pre-planning is key!

    ReplyDelete