Wednesday 15 January 2014

Going around again - What I love about 12WBT and what I still need to learn

So if you haven't worked it out yet... I love the 12WBT program.

Firstly what is great about this program

I was very sceptical at first - I need to eat when I am training hard hence I delayed starting my first 12WBT program until mid 2013. This was after my latest Ironman campaign and I was pretty pleased when I realised the first week was after my half ironman.

I liked the look of the program - it is calorie controlled - portion size - but from what I had heard really tasty food. What success I had had in the past had been when I controlled my calories. I was pretty excited to be starting.

I decided as I was very fit and looking for a change so I enrolled in Lean and Strong. With watching my calories I had achieved my initial weight target BEFORE I even started. Got to be happy with that.

However like many others I have found sticking to calorie counting long term just is too hard and it is also too hard to. What I found great in this program was that if I stuck to the recipes I kept the weight off. EASY and SWEET.

I also found the support in the forums was fantastic. I realize now that the lean and strong group is a little different and definitely more active... I really miss that part now - but I want to get back to my sport ... maybe I'll be back again in the off season. Initially I felt out of water.... I didn't know what I was doing and had lots of questions about what to do if I didn't have some equipment. The I realised it wasn't the 12WBT support crew who were the best support but all the 12WBT family. Others going through the same thing you are.

The other big key to the 12WBT system is the mindset lessons. I haven't been as diligent at watching and listening to these but these are the key. This is the how to get your life on a new track (a healthier track). The mindset lessons aren't just about your diet.... it is about general accountability for your life .. paying it forward.

More and more researchers are finding what we probably will all realise at some point. It is not what you have that will make your life rich but what you give to other. Happiness is not what we should all be seeking - we won't always be happy in our lives. What gives our life purpose and ultimately fulfilment is what we give to others. It is time for us all to start being adults and just do what we need to do with the understanding that it what we achieve that will make our lives great and ultimately better. It may be weight loss and health or being proud of your children or making your own dreams come true. In my case it is what I can do for others that ultimately is linked to my happiness. I love to help others (although I am not as amazing as my parents who help others and thrive on no recognition at all!)

So what is my Shout IT OUT moment for this round.

I am sure this is going to sound like my last round. Again I am going to try to qualify for the 70.3 (half ironman triathlon) world championships in Canada. But if I don't do this then that will be OK. If I train well there is no reason why I can't get a PB at Busselton which is at the end of this next round.

So how am I going to do this:
1. Get up - remind myself I am going to probably feel tired whether I train or not so I may as well train and feel good about why I feel tired.
2. Blog weekly - keep sharing my journey and it is a journey for all of us. Mine may be different to some but I am sure I should be able to share some wisdom.
3. Watch the mindset videos !
4. Eat well but don't sweat the small stuff. Plan and plan well. For me I am going to try using the weekly plan as the Saturday to Friday plan rather than a Monday to Sunday plan. I find it frustration to purchase food for the week a few days BEFORE I need it. being in the country there are less shopping hours available...
5. Get a training diary and plan plan plan....
6. Check in with the forum and help others in the way I have been guided in the past.

Hopefully that will do it.

This round is not about weight loss for me - I am on the upper range of a healthy body weight for my height but I know I have lots of muscle. My body fat % sits around the 22-24% mark on my scales which is healthy and healthy is a great way to be. I am not a skinny person and I never will be (unless I get really sick). I am sure it won't always go the way I want this round but I just need to keep getting back on that wagon.

No comments:

Post a Comment