Monday 5 May 2014

Dreams do come true if you work at it long enough.

My Goal and Dream

This is my dream.... I am not a great athlete. I have only one fantastic trait and that is the ability to keep going when others drop by the way side. I have tenacity and a dream.

Last year in November with my father in ICU, I competed in the Mandurah 70.3 ironman with the aim of qualifying for the Worlds in September. That time I missed out by a single slot... one more and I would already be going....

So it was back to the training board. I got a little injured in December and missed completing in my 9th half in Albany my home town and then it was on to Busselton. My first half was at Busselton and it is only in the last 12 months that I have managed to reduce my times to below the time I did for my first one.

So on the weekend despite a less than ideal race I managed to achieve one of these

in a personal best time and any time you do a PB its a good day. I was 3 minutes quicker in the swim and 4th fastest in my age group in the cycle. Bit slow on the run, but I had tummy trouble so it was good to get a PB.

Then it was on to the roll down on Sunday. Roll down is a system where the 30 slots to the world championships are allocated. There weren't many people there but when the head count was done, there were more people than slots.....So some of us were going to need some luck, and as 14th in my age group I would need some of that.

And I got one ... I was so happy So now in September I will
until I get to finish my dream.

 
Will keep you posted on the journey .... but now I rest (this week anyway)
 
17 weeks to go

 

No comments:

Post a Comment