Friday 18 April 2014

Easter Plans and How to cope with low motivation 2 weeks to an event

So It's Easter

I have a busy weekend planned......

Run Friday morning (which turned into a walk as my friend was injured)
Then a Kayak trying out the double inflatable kayak we will be using for an adventure race in 4 weeks time. It was fun and the harbour was very flat! Fabulous day for a paddle. What was really interesting that although my other half and I managed to paddle across the harbour with just a few minor steering issued it was his lack of fitness and need to rest regularly that was most interesting.... Clearly I am fit .... OK very fit.... good sign....

Tomorrow I am planning a swim across the harbour in Albany, Just a lazy 4km swim to start the morning. It will be my 4th time and could be interesting to see how I go with the extra training I have been doing.

Sunday I am planning to take a rest day - given I will be busy timing a swim event in a near by town.

I am now in count down mode from my next big event - Busselton half ironman. it will be my 9th half. pretty pleased with that.... I was going well with training about 1 month ago but I have been really struggling in the last few weeks.

So I have been taking a good dose of JFDI. Although this hasn't always been easy and sometimes due to extreme lethargy I have started a session and pulled out.... I have also been having trouble with knee pain and swelling as well.

So I now need to relax and use my version of the 5 minute rule - that is if after 30 minutes I still don't feel like I can train well I stop... a little longer than the 5 minutes but it works better for me.

So this week when my motivation to cycle was waning I jumped on the computer trainer did a 20 minute session at 100% of my maximum power threshold then got off and went for a short 1km run. I figured a "brick" session like that would actually help and I am sure it did......

So this week again I am going to relax and enjoy the ride... it's taper time... all about short sharp sessions.

No comments:

Post a Comment